Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Super Tuesday - Grandma Virginia

As you all know Grandma Virginia is an amazing woman. Grandma always works the polls on voting day. Well this year News10, a local news station, came to the polling place Grandma was working at and interviewed her. The Sacramento Bee and Folsom Telegraph, local newspapers, interviewed her as well.

News10 Interview




SacBee Article (Local Newspaper)

February 05, 2008

She once voted for FDR

She cast her first vote more than 70 years ago, and never stopped voting since.

As you cast your ballots, know that Virginia Nielsen can beat all of your recession fears and all of your concerns about a dynastic presidency.

The 95-year-old Orangevale woman first voted in 1936 and cast her ballot for incumbent Democrat Franklin Delano Roosevelt, who was running his first re-election bid. After that landslide victory, Roosevelt served until his death in 1945.

Though the second New Deal was already under way, the country was still reeling from the effects of the Great Depression.

Things are much different now, Nielsen said.

"I never thought I'd see a black man, or a woman, running for president," she said. "But I should've known it'd happen."

Born in 1912, Nielsen has not only voted in every single presidential election, but for about the last 60 years, she's worked the polls in every national election, she said.

Nielsen was at the Granite Grammar School polling station in Folsom on Super Tuesday, directing voters to put their completed ballots in the ballot box and passing out "I Voted" stickers.

"I used to pass out the ballots," Nielsen said, "but now I don't move fast enough."

Voting is something sacred to her, she explained. '

"I think it's a privilege and an honor," she said. "If you don't bother to vote, don't bother saying nothing."

-- Stan OklobdzijaPosted by kchavez, February 5, 2008 04:56 PM

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/election/archives/010432.html

No comments: